Wednesday, January 12, 2011

January is National Train Your Dog Month

Jennifer Bush, HSSV Volunteer

When I brought home my new puppy, my first thought was “now what?” I wanted to be responsible, and I had dreams of being one of those people you see, sitting at an outdoor café, with their quiet pup by their side. So I enrolled in a puppy training class, and began the process of developing my 8-week-old into the best friend I knew she would turn out to be.

If you’ve recently added a new puppy to your household, it is important to make sure you get your relationship off to the right start, and HSSV’s behavior and training classes can help. The Beginning Puppy classes teach basic manners and obedience, and the drop-in Puppy Socials help give new pups the social skills they need to get along with other dogs. You and your dog might even make a new friend to visit at the dog park.


If you’ve mastered the basics, but wish your dog were more comfortable out in the community, HSSV offers the Canine Good Citizen prep class. Or if, like my pup, it turns out your dog thrives on physical and mental challenges rather than hanging out at a café, consider trying a dog sport, like Flyball or Agility. My dog is never happier, more focused, or more exhausted, after a challenging agility class! And I’ve never felt closer to her than when she’s watching me, waiting for her cue to get off the starting line.



HSSV offers many specialty classes and seminars, in addition to the ones listed above. HSSV also has classes for cat and rabbit owners! See the Behavior & Training page for a calendar of classes and registration information. Discounts are available to Santa Clara County adopters.

No comments:

Post a Comment