Sunday, May 18, 2014

Barnaby the One-Eyed WonderCat Schools Us on FIV

Why, hello there!  The name's Barnaby.

You seem to have caught me during a grooming session, so please pardon the hairy tongue.  I'm sure you must be wondering about my eye -- it does seem to be a topic of conversation around here.  I had an untreatable ocular condition and was in a lot of pain, so the nice shelter vets worked their magic and now I feel better than ever!  But believe it or not, my missing eye is not the most unique thing about me.  I am a cat with FIV.  What's FIV you ask?  Well, let me explain.


FIV is an immune deficiency commonly found in street cats, mainly spread through scratching, biting and even grooming (and don't worry, potential adopters -- it only affects cats, not humans).  Some people compare it to HIV in humans because it affects a cat's immune system much like HIV in humans.  FIV positive cats like me can't fight off infections like normal cats can.  But I don't let that get me down!


 



I can still play, 


 










scratch, 



 









eat, 





 






knead, 





 






and cuddle like any normal kitty!  I just need to stay inside and be the only cat in your home, to help prevent the possibility of infecting other cats and minimize the likelihood of me catching something.  That's not too much to ask, is it?







I'm really good at being adorable and loving.  I'm great around kids and adults alike.  I lean into you for petting and purr like a total maniac.  So come on!  How many more reasons could you possibly need to take me home?



Love, Barnaby


Click here for more information on FIV, and check out Barnaby's profile here.  He is available for adoption today at HSSV!

Interested in seeing our kitties in action, or just bored at work?  Our YouTube channel has a TON of adorable cat videos to keep you occupied!


2 comments: