Wednesday, April 6, 2011

Button Helped Me Battle Breast Cancer, Part III

By Melissa Lisbon, HSSV Volunteer

Read Part I and Part II in this series.

As November drew to a close, the pure joy and love of my foster kitten, Button, continued to help me through my chemotherapy treatments. Soon it was time for Button to be neutered and be brought back to HSSV for adoption. I knew it would be difficult to say goodbye to this special little kitty, but I was also convinced that he needed his own home and his own people to love.

The day came for my husband and me to load Button in a carrier with his favorite toy and blanket and take him to HSSV’s satellite adoption center at PETCO in Saratoga. It was a Saturday morning. HSSV staff member Linda Ngo and a volunteer were cleaning the kitty compartments, getting ready for a day of visitors. My husband and I lingered, chatting with Linda and making sure little Button settled into his new compartment. Linda was so kind; I knew Button was in good hands.

It was hard leaving PETCO that day. Button had helped me more than he knew, and now it was time for me to help him get the life he deserved. My only hope was that he would get adopted quickly.

Later that day, I went to look up Button on the HSSV website ... He was gone! Could it be true that in four short hours, he’d already been adopted? An email to Linda confirmed it was true! He didn’t even have to spend a single night in the adoption center. Our sweet Button had been adopted by a nice couple. Through Linda, Button's new family emailed us a happy update and sent many precious photos including the two in this post.

My goal in fostering Button was to prepare him for adoption. I didn’t expect his presence to have the healing affect it did on me. It turned out that his kitten innocence, trust and endless cuddles were just the medicine I needed to distract me from my health situation and provide comfort during a difficult time. While Button was our guest, I enjoyed every moment by focusing on the present and not being preoccupied with the future. As a result of this experience, I've coined a new treatment which I call "cuddle therapy." The power of cuddle therapy should not be underestimated!

I intend to foster again. I look forward to future foster experiences and know that, despite the short time our foster animals are with us, each animal makes a significant impact on our lives. The real benefits of fostering an animal in need are definitely a two-way street.

Have you fostered an animal? Post a comment and share your story.
If you’d like to learn more about fostering, click here.

No comments:

Post a Comment